Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Spring Strawberry '09

Just got back from Strawberry Music Festival. Joe and I stayed at fabulous Camp Decadence, whose orange cargo parachute landmark helped us locate it when we were wearily trekking home from a late night show. We managed to obtain backstage passes again this year, as the Red Stick Ramblers' bassist and fine harmony vocalist Eric needed to borrow a bass and liked mine. Thanks to Don Burnham, who introduced me to the Ramblers through his favorite fiddler in the world, Kevin Wimmer. I had a most wonderful jam with Kevin and Don, and then the rest of the band showed up (sans drummer) and we all played. Eric and I traded off and had a marvelous time. I like the Red Stick Ramblers because they are a great dance band, Cajun style, and have two fiddlers, wonderful guitar, bass and drums. One of the highlights of their set was an odd little number called Main Street Blues, with pizzicato fiddles and bowed bass. Eric made my bass sound so good! Thanks, fellas!
I heard Natalie MacMaster on Saturday night; I couldn't believe one human being could dance and play like that at the same time. It made me cry, and I don't know why, but I sure enjoyed the show.
One last note about the weekend: Marty Stuart was the headliner on Sunday night. We first saw Marty on a documentary tribute to Bill Monroe, and here he was, live! What a great mando player! He and his band (the Fabulous Superlatives) lived up to their name.
Wwow, and thanks, Marty.
Another comment must be made about Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue: just great playing all around. I had never heard a trombone player like that, and then he played the heck out of the trumpet. They basically knocked everyone's socks off.
And the weather was perfect!

No comments: