Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Current Listening

We're having a good time here at the studio listening to music of the 15th and 16th centuries. Good stuff. Practicing piano, violin. Haven't played drums for awhile. I am practicing the new bass a lot and have pretty much decided the Pfretschner bow is a go. It seems like just the right weight for the bass, and it is firm, yet flexible, somewhat springy. Less springy than the other bow I tried. I would like to go to Europe to try other bows.
Have been playing old hohe schul for bass by Simandl, via Richard Davis through his teacher. My German friend located some copies of that old series in a shop in Germany when she went there.
I have also come across the Russian Bass Concerto that the late Alex Glikman gave me. I couldn't find it in the US, and even called Moscow to try to find it. I played it at my 40th BD Recital, and I would like to play it again. I wonder what my piano-playing neighbor is up to tonight?

No comments: